top of page

Brandon's Valentines Day Birth Story

My husband and I tried to get pregnant for 3.5 years before I got pregnant for the first time. Every single month for years, I felt like I was suffering a loss so when there was a hint of a pregnancy, I refused to take the test. The last thing that I wanted was to take another test and go through another sense loss.

There was a point that I couldn’t deny it any longer. I had been miserable for weeks and when I needed to go home from work in the middle of the day to take a nap, I figured something was up.

I drove to the nearest drugstore, picked up one of those fancy pregnancy tests and the that line was clear as clear can be.

Fast forward to 3 days before Valentine's Day, it was like any other day, I went for a workout and when I got home, I noticed some blood. I was 3 weeks away from my due date and I was freaking out. I went to Doctor Google-decided to wait until the next morning and if I was still bleeding I would go to the hospital--I ended up going to the hospital the next day.

In the middle of a blizzard, we’re sliding all over the road. Get to the hospital, they examined me, then sent me home. The nurses were sure that it was going to be another few weeks.

2 days pass and I was making myself some lunch and I thought I peed myself. Again, went to Doctor Google and was left feeling confused.

My husband and I went to watch my favourite childhood movie, Alice In Wonderland but by 9 pm, I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I went to bed.

It was 1 pm and I woke up starving. Grabbed a snack and went back to bed. Woke up at 3 am and felt something leaking. It wasn’t pee!

We drive to the hospital and waited in triage for what felt like forever. The nurse comes in and says “you’re having a baby today”


I get admitted and the nurses are asking me all kinds of questions included when I noticed my water break. It was 18 hours before and I had no real contractions. All of a sudden, there was panic and I was to be induced which needed to be sped up because it had been 18 hours.

I was excited and honestly didn’t care that I was being induced. I really wanted to meet this precious little baby that I waited years to have. This sweet little baby was my miracle and came to me at a time when I had given up on becoming a mother and the heartache that I felt was coming and the incredible love that I was feeling in this moment, all I wanted was to hold him in my arms.

The labour was rough and wasn’t at all what I expected. It was one constant contraction-the pain was unbarable. I thought because I had trained during pregnancy, I was going to be strong enough to get through labour and give birth naturally but I couldn’t. I ask for an epidural. Thank the heavens for that epidural!

I was 10cm and ready to push. After pushing for 34 minutes, a mess of nurses ran into the room to catch my baby boy. The OB didn’t make it in time.

I hear this crying little baby and as he was placed on my chest, I cried. He was finally in my arms and I was finally a mom. This tiny human, this sweet little soul and he was perfect. I didn’t see anyone and I couldn’t hear a thing. For a few short minutes, it was my baby and I. This was the best Valentines Day gift.

Now, he’s 5 Years old and the time flew. He’s smart, funny, kind and probably the friendliest little kid on the face of the planet. My wish is for him to stay that way. I love how sees the world around him.

I’m so proud to be his mom.

Love your baby body,



Are you expecting a baby? Download your free copy of the Mom's Fitness Guide Fitness During Pregnancy guide to learn everything you need to know about supporting a healthy pregnancy with physical activity. To access your free guide, click here.

Featured Posts
bottom of page